Blog Archive

WHITE MAN'S MEDICINE











Years ago when I was a Northern Exposure fan, I watched an episode I loved and has remained with me. "Ed" (sorry, not enough time to catch up the young uns' on who he is right now) discovers he is a Medicine Man. He seeks the white folks answer to what their medicine is compared to the Native Americans. What helps them through the tough times? Of which, I have had more than my share lately and find myself totally cured (at least temporarily )by his discovery
He discovers the answer to his question at the end of watching a movie. He leans over the chair and comments to his mentor, "Its movies.......THAT is what makes the white man heal and gives them medicine"
I would have to say I am in complete agreement with Ed. A moment before the movie starts I am some chick in a seat at the theatre, the next.......well, transformed, completely utterly and totally taken over, healed, and transfixed.

Its a graduated level of the classic bedtime story, a superb novel, a delicious book or spoken legend. We all , all , all of us, LOVE stories. I do. I just think my grown up version is a film, a movie, a screen. I am powerless against a great movie. I am better for having taken a break from my "real life" and although I LOVE books, when I am really bummed and can't seem to find relief its the movie that heals.

A FEW OF MY FAVORITE BOTTLES INCLUDE:
SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE (hyper ironic right now)
PERSUASION
WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING
THE ORIGINAL PRIDE AND PREJUDICE
YOU'VE GOT MAIL
SENSE AND SENSIBILITY
STARDUST
RETURN TO ME
STRANGER THAN FICTION
SWEET HOME ALABAMA
AW....THE LIST COULD GO ON FOREVER...BUT THESE, THESE ARE FEW OF MY FAVORITE PRESCRIPTIONS.
THE ONES I WILL WATCH EVEN ON TV
THOUGH I OWN THEM!!
BLOGALICIOUS BABES.....GIVE US YOUR BOTTLES, LABELS, AND MEDICINE;
WHAT BRAND OF "WHITE MAN'S MEDICINE" DO YOU USE?