
THIS IS A PHOTO OF MY BROTHER MATT AND I WHEN MY PARENTS HAD PROOF OF LIFE. PROOF OF LIFE IS A PRECIOUS COMMODITY IN MY HOME. ONE DAY, I WILL LOOK AROUND AND SEE A TIDY HOME WITH LESS LIFE AND MORE QUIET. BOTH ARE NICE. BUT, TODAY I AM GLAD FOR WHAT 'PROOF' I HAVE.

As I look around my house this morning I feel so sentimental. Amidst the first day of school rush, I encounter objects that make me smile to myself. The "proof of life" or of summer at least.
One telescope raised to 'child level' reminds me of the clear night we found Venus. "Look at all the holes!!" "Mom, come and see"
The guitar with a string broken, brings memories of sweet strummings sounds in the background of many summer days and nights.
The couches are still turned into "forts" for Lily and Carter. Complete with books, blankets, pillows and flashlights.
There is still a razor scooter at my front door.
Hastily cast aside pajamas litter the bedroom floors.
There are cards on our dining room table from our last game of Gin Rummy, the chess set is still set up and some board games are under the glass table.
Sam the dog still smells of 'lake water' from our last swim.
There are wet bathing suits on top of my washing machine.
My car has sandy foot matts, bottles of water, and finger and dog prints all over the glass.
Fresh cut sunflowers guard my entry way.
I have massive loads of laundry to do, a garage to clean, bathrooms to scrub, bookshelves to organize again, and a house so full of life and activity it makes my heart grateful and full.
Its all proof of life. Proof that I have created 3 happy, busy, creative and active children to fill this house with reminders of their sweet summer and my heart full of sentiment enough for yet another blog post about how delightful it is to be a mother.