Blog Archive

Friendly thoughts...


"Rilke wrote: 'These trees are magnificent, but even more magnificent is the sublime and moving space between them, as though with their growth it too increased.'" 
— Gaston Bachelard, The Poetics of Space

Lately, I have had some singular thoughts about friends. In the past, I seem to have attracted a certain type of friend. It seems I am able to relate to those that are feeling different or separate from the masses. Unfortunately, my ability to decipher between guilt/missionary work/and service has been out of focus. Broken people usually need someone 'whole' to hold on to. To reflect their lives off of. It seems in some crazy tweaked and twisted exchange of events I have shifted into the 'whole' category.

What that means for now, is that I am less willing to tank my own set of needs to place the needs of my friends with high emotional needs in the top line of my priorities. I have begun a healthy shift to a more balanced and reciprocal brand of friendship finding.

This process of shifting from being the one to 'give' to one who receives is an impossible balance and seems to find me over and over and over. I have been given the 'opportunity' to figure out how to balance all the needs of my friends with my own on the repeat cycle forever.

I'm d.o.n.e.

And like the trees in the above photo,... I am going to stand tall and whole with those that can stand beside me and not lean on me so much that I am in danger of falling over myself.