Blog Archive

WHEN DID I STOP?

Went to the River the other day and as I managed the needs of my little ones I wondered to myself...........
When did I stop putting my own feet in the river?
My concerns at the time were things like keeping shoes and socks dry for the drive home, Could my 12 year old lose his footing on the high rocks and fall and break his head open?, Did I bring enough fresh water, they will be so thirsty from this extended time in the sun, Hmmmm, do they need sunblock?, Did I have some towels in the car? What about the sightings of cougars in the area, would I be able to get to my little one in time if one showed up?
Did I bring my camera?
These were my thoughts, mind you they did not influence my pleasant countenance, my deliberately evoked loving tone, or my unfeigned interest in all of their discoveries from rocks to leaves. I was in the "Mom Zone". Managing every detail for every child and even the dog.
It occurred to me that I wasn't engaged in the delightful side of our adventure, just the managerial side. Noble, even self sacrificing and definitely motherly but desperately absent.
Immediately, I took off my flips pulled up my pant legs and went in. It was deliciously cold uneven and rocky and the way the light was reflecting off the water made me squint and smile.
While it is true my feet were sandy and silty and wet for the ride home, I was presently more whole for having followed my inner rebel yell. Perhaps the cougars in the area found it so peculiar they left us alone in our singularity, The boys did not crack any craniums, nobody got sunburned or dehydrated and although I did not have my camera, it is a memory I keep in the files of my brain labeled
"perfect moments".
I brought my children to the river that day to learn and live, the exact opposite was true. They taught me not to forget simple daily delights. A foot undipped is a moment missed.
So throw off your sandals people and jump right in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!