Blog Archive

FRESH FREAK, GARDEN GEEK




Its very possible I have lost my mind altogether. I have over-delighted my senses in obsessing about my garden again. This years possibilities thrill me unspeakably. Hunky H. and I were on a basil plant hunt last night until ridiculous hours, this was after we (and I do mean both of us in aprons) were making raspberry jam all evening. While all the guys at his office were at their local bar, Hunky H. and I shared a fresh jam frenzy.
I decided my basil was not growing fast enough, was planted a bit too late and was not getting enough sun( the pumpkins are bullies) and remembered seeing mature plants for sale not long ago, we went to Johnson's, Home Depot and Fred Meyer. Lets have our Friday night date on the herb sale isle! Two for Five.
We never found any ! However, I did bring home some beautiful Rosemary, Peppermint, Spearmint and Lemon Balm plants. On the way home I held these babies close and honestly felt such a surge of intense satisfaction that they were mine. I think I was falling in plant love.
I do this each year. Get a bit more into it, and wait, water and watch my yard go crazy! A bit of nurturance early on and then they just explode! It is a wonder I cannot take in entirely. I am so thoroughly impressed every time. I thrill in the beauty of it all and truly am joyful in the process.
I yard saled myself into a nice canner and have already canned 18 bottles of fresh rasberry jam, plan on doing green beans, and even our beets. My favorite new idea though is to can my homemade marinara sauce with garlic, basil , oregano, onions and tomato from MY OWN GARDEN!!!!!! Can you just smell those flavors on a cold night in December? MMMMMmmmmmm the idea makes me want to sing opera right now!
PLANTS IN MY GARDIE RIGHT NOW: TOMATOES, POTATOES, GARLIC, CHAMOMILE, SAGE, PARSLEY, OREGANO, PUMPKINS, BEETS, CARROTS, BROCCOLI, PEAS, BEANS, GREEN ONIONS, SUNFLOWERS, LEMON BALM, SPEARMINT, PEPPERMINT, AND some really really small BASIL
FLOWERS IN MY GARDEN RIGHT NOW: ROSES 3 VARIETIES, LILY'S 3 VARIETIES, IMPATIENS, DAISIES, BLEEDING HEART, HOSTAS, RHODODENDRONS, HEATHER, LAVENDER, FUCHSIA, PEONIES, BUTTERFLY BUSH, AND RED AND YELLOW SUNFLOWERS
The photos above are of pumpkins in my front flower bed, (he he), and fresh green beans with butter and garlic from the veggie gard, and our spring flower planting at our door. Don't you feel the thrill? Come on, you know you want to plant something! The soil is calling people, dig in!!!
If you see me with black, chipped fingernails in summer you will now know why! I am a certifiable and utterly undeniable
FRESH FREAK! GARDEN GEEK!