Blog Archive

Mom School

Lets talk straight ladies. I had an epiphany this year. I have been blessed to re-connect with tons of old friends. I was invited to a reunion group from high school on Facebook, and from there have had a great time finding friends from high school and college. Every single female friend I was close with is now a mother. I, along with my friends talked for hours about what we would eventually become. What would we do with our lives. Who would marry? Who would find the cure for Cancer? (Dr. Morrison keep going!!!! xoxo Katie!!!). Who would be the famous one(Nice going Aaron Eckhart :) ), sorry about the face in Batman, that's a bummer.

However each of us has made our marks on the planet we all share one thing in common. (except for Aaron) WE ARE ALL MOTHERS!!!!! Almost every single friend of mine is actually a "stay at home mom". I have always considered myself a "play at home" mom, anyone can just "stay" there, I want to play too!

Its at the very least ,interesting to discover that we have all chosen to be mothers. Have chosen to care for them in the home. We are all doing what most mom's have done before us. Wiping stuff, kissing boo boos, making breakfast, packing the car, planning dinner menus, balancing the checkbook, driving, driving, and driving to practices, lessons, performances, tucking in sweet children and reading stories, helping tweens navigate middle school, etc...etc...etc....etc....etc....

Although I have always desired a family, I never knew exactly how I was going to conduct one. I could manage entire offices or classrooms, but had never managed a home. I was keenly intent on following the Lord's plan for my life whatever it may be, and yet as I pursued my education was never schooled on the entirety of mothering that consumes my life at present. Never had a class or instructor of "Mom School".

It would have helped.

I could have studied how to manage the sleep patterns of infants, how to sneak veggies into casseroles, how to do a 5th grade science report, how to economize the amount of goldfishy crackers, make dinner, make a bed, make a kid's day!!! Phew.

I think we all missed out.

Mom school can't teach how to give up your needs for the needs of a child. It would never help you drive the mom train through the bewitching dinner /bedtime hours with a smile. Surely, it could never help you when your child breaks your heart from being sick or hurt. However, it could have been useful. Much more useful than say the Spanish class I took, or the Biology class I endured. And while each subject did contribute to my person as a whole, ...... I still think considering how much of my life's work is dedicated to these years as a mother in our home, it would have been lovely to turn to page 243 "How To Keep Kids Safe" to find some answers.

The irony is that once we have graduated from each of our own "Mom's school" our little ones will be gone studying the same stuff we did somewhere else. When we know enough to pass the course we will not need it as much as we once did. This life is the test. May we all get straight A's in our relative "Mom School". Too bad there are no Cliff Notes for this!!!

PS. Do not ever call me a 'HOUSEWIFE", I hate that!!!!
I didn't marry the house :)