Blog Archive

ItChY rOoTs

I have moved 33 times in 38 years
Most of those were with my parents
I am more accustomed to moving than staying
I find as I grow older I look for a
sense of place
a
sense of belonging
and yet
my roots are still itchy
travel itchy
wander lusty
I want my kids to 'be from somewhere'
remember places
remember ritual and sameness in those places
have a 'name'
go to the parades
eat the barbecue chicken with the neighbors
have a Popsicle in the yard
spend summer days playing outside with the same kids year after year
not
pack their room again
say goodbye to friends and give empty promises of keeping in touch
look backwards from the moving van and try to freeze images to last a lifetime
have to start as the "new kid" again
find their way to the park again
make new friends again
wait until home feels like home again
ROOTS
i WaNt ThEm
FoR tHeM
better scratch that itch
myself.......