Blog Archive

Caught between the camera and the moment. . . .

I attended my daughter's classroom production of "The 3 Piggy Opera" last week. I brought camera and video alike. She was as cute as a button in her piggy shirt, pig tails, and skirt. She was knew her part, she had practiced, she was ready, I was ready camera in hand when I had an EPIPHANY Its the question that comes to mind often when I am afraid I will miss capturing something. Should I experience the moment or document it? I have never actually taken out the old tapes of choir concerts, cub scout badges/skits and used my time watching them again. I have however felt the anxiety and stress of trying to film or photograph the moment without missing the greatest parts live and un recorded.
I decided after a few shots this time to put the cameras down and just experience it rather than panic that I would miss capturing something. I had the greatest time. I was laughing out loud and totally into it. It was so much better. I was present. I was not caught between the camera and moment. I was in the moment.

Should you take photos at the birth? Should you just experience it. Should you film the play or watch it? Do you want your experience to come through the small lens of a camera,
or the wide reality of life?




This time I chose wide reality
Piggy Opera's participants were never better!
I hope there is a record in heaven being kept for the replay of all these sweet moments. I suppose I can wait until then. Hope that camera is perfect!!!
Next time? Well, we'll see? Literally.