
Why would I answer something that in general makes my already busy life, busier, and more complicated? There is this little square in my round world that would drive me crazy if I let it. It sits in the busiest place in my house, my kitchen. Not only do I spend more of my life in that one room than in any place on earth, but it is fully chaotic from about 4pm to 9pm.
EVERY time I answer my phone someone wants something from me. I am continually put in an uncomfortable position to decide if there is another slice of debi to go around.
I hate to bother you but could you please: drive my kid to scouts, bake some cupcakes, talk to so and so, reschedule your activity, teach a class, attend a class,pay your bills, come to the dentist, send so an so a note,buy this, try this, chicken pot pie this??????
It is NEVER enjoyable. It always wants something from me. It is a royal pain.
I don't answer my phone if : I am interacting with my children, talking to Marc, eating lunch, working, sleeping, reading, creating, planning, cooking, thinking...as you can see, everything is more important to me than that square squawker.
I will not jump up from reading Lily a story and answer the phone, only to find out I am all the sudden substituting in a class on Sunday.
I will not leap from the dinner table that has required me to plan, shop for, put away, cook, distribute, dish out, eat and clean up to discover yet another person needs me to give them a "minute' of my precious time to tell me about the channels I don't want or need that my TV can get if only.....
I shan't bolt out of slumberous pleasure in an most treasured and infrequent nap to "find out" school is a half day tomorrow. I already knew that, that information is partially responsible for making me take a nap in the first place.
My dear mother, has a thing with repeat phone calls. If you were a roommate/friend,old boyfriend of mine you know that I am not kidding when I tell you she could call me hundreds of times a day.
If I get a message from you and it is important I WILL call you back. I WILL help you if I can, but I WILL not drop what I am doing to find out THIS MINUTE what YOU want.
Once when we were away for a weekend, we came home to several relatives who were incensed that we did not pick up the phone. They called over and over and over surely imagining we were sitting there listening to the phone laughing away.....ha ha aren't we so funny not answering our phone! Not, true. Promise to call me and leave me a message if I am not there, and I promise to call you back. Its simple.
Am I a brat? Is this unacceptable? Is it such a mind bending quandry? Is it wrong, not to be a slave to that sound....
BBBbbbrrrriiiiiinnnnggggggg.......BBBBBbbbbbbrrrrrriiiiiiiinnnnggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????
I don't think so.
Who is in charge anyway? Me? or my phone????
I am serenely content with silence. I like my own company. I enjoy the silence like a cup of hot chocolate in the snow. It is delightful... I seriously get a buzzy happy feeling in my head when it is quiet. I am worshipping the P & Q. Peace and Quiet.
Why toss it for a sales call? I ask you? Am I a jerk? Is it so hard to leave me a message? It is not hard, .....
WAIT FOR THE BEEP PEOPLE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I'LL CALL YOU BACK
PS. While it is true I should probably purchase caller ID, I am too cantankerous, and stubborn to pay for it... It is old school here, phone/answering machine, couple clock radios and a 15 year old TV, we got for our wedding!!! :)