Blog Archive

Sunday Sister - Michelle


Today's Sunday sister is my beautiful friend Michelle. She and I were each other's family in Hillsboro Oregon. I call the time we had together, "Camelot", as it was so much sweeter because we had each other.

Michelle's husband was in Medical School at the time and she was raising 2 sweet little kids as a stay at home mom. Not so easy on a student loan salary. She would grab her kids favorite blankets and the sippy cups and head out to do a paper route every day. A paper route! She amazed me.

She also had a pair of glasses that had lost the ear side and she would wear those crazy glasses without it! She refused to spend the money necessary to fix them. Instead, her family would have all the things they needed to get through a financially trying time.

Michelle was a cheerleader before she became a wife and mom, and Marc and I would crack up to no end as she would do high kicks when Marc's car would pull up into the driveway! She has the best sense of humor.

I loved to listen to how much she loved her family. How much she loved her dad and how she did not even entertain the idea of marrying anyone who was not as wonderful as her dad was. That and this story about her slugging a guy at Lake Powell who commented on her well endowed-ness. :)

She and I were kindred spirits of a kind. Feisty and fierce loyal and devoted to family we would share all things in common and often my phone would be ringing as I pulled into my driveway, as she could see my house from hers.

One particular conversation we had goes down in our record book as 'most revealing'. I said to her as we were chatting about various things, "I THINK I MIGHT BE...."....there was a pause on the other end of the phone and then she said, "I AM!!!" We were both pregnant!!!!

I credit the sweet experience of knowing Michelle for making my Hillsboro time one of communal comfort and happiness enough to invite our last little one into our family. She and Sean made life seem manageable enough to pull it off!

I tend to sort of sabotage some friendships that get too close. I have 'issues' with trust. Its a long boring tale, however, it did effect our last year together, for which I am still sorry. I am so grateful to know Michelle and so grateful for her faithful example.

One of my favorite memories of Michelle and Sean is seeing their faces from the pulpit at church. They look quite alot alike with their dark hair and bright blue eyes. They were smiling these huge smiles and looking at me and faces a glow showing so much support it made an impression on my heart forever.

Here's to you Michelle!!! The Sunday sister blog. Love to you woman! See you next time I streak through the valley! Kiss all those little kids of yours and know I love ya forever!